1. Madrid has been the capital of Spain since the 17th century and it has over 3 million of inhabitants.
2. Madrid is located 650 m above the sea level which makes it the highest capital city in Europe.
3. The name Madrid comes from the Arabic word magerit which means "place of abundant water". The people of Madrid are called gatos - "cats" because of their ability to climb the walls like cats during the Arabic invasions in 11th century.
4. The oldest monument in the city is Temple of Debod, an Egyptian temple built in 200 BC. It was donated to Spain in 1968. The biggest building in Madrid is The Royal Palace with 3000 rooms, but he Spanish king and the rest of the royal family don't reside in the palace.
5. The symbol of Madrid is a bear eating berries - meant to show the city's growth and prosperity.
6. Madrid is one of "the greenest" and cloudless cities in Europe.
7. Real Madrid FC was the world's most successful football club in 20th century.
8. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Madrid has the oldest restaurant in the world that opened in 1725.
9. Madrid is the only city in the world that has a statue of the Satan and it's constructed 666 m above the sea level.
10. An urban legend says that taxi cars disappear when it rains because the drivers are not able to protects the cars from the rain!? :o